Birmingham Unitarian Church underwent two major construction projects since 1996. Minoru Yamasaki designed the original facilities in 1956 as an open campus with a collection of buildings.
- The 2015 renovation project included:
- Remodeling the main entrance and lobby areas into an open, engaging space
- Remodeling other interior spaces, including the social hall, restrooms, meeting rooms, and classrooms
- Barrier-free access connecting all buildings on campus
- Improvements to parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, and landscaping
- Strong emphasis on green principles and initiatives
- The 1996 renovation included a 7,500 sf addition and interior/exterior renovations